A thick research study by Morgan Stanley analysts, shows that by 2015 mobile websites will be the rule.
“Including devices such as the Kindle, the iPhone and other smartphones, web-enabled tablets, GPS systems, video games and wireless home appliances, the growth of the mobile web has been exponential” – source: Mashable.com. According to the report, mobile e-commerce is growing faster than online shopping (via desktop computers), now making up 4% of all retail sales.
Additional statistics of interest from the Mashable report:
- 48% of all Internet users come from just five countries (Brazil, Russia, China, India and the U.S.).
- Video accounts for 69% of mobile data traffic.
- Apple and Android platforms are gaining in the mobile OS market, while Windows Mobile, RIM and Palm decline.
- The overlap between mobile users and social web users continues to grow; more and more users are accessing the social web from a mobile device.
- The average iPhone user only spends 45% of his on-device time making voice calls.
Are you getting the message? Laptop and desktop computers, keyboards and mice are going the way of the typewriter. Mobile phones and tablets will be the new normal.